Lemon Mascarpone Cake


Friday night has always been my favourite night of the week.
 Its the only evening that I feel genuinely relaxed and content. Growing up it was always about going out with friends or knowing I had a lay in the next day, whereas now its more about spending time with Chris (Saturday lay in's are a mythical thing now - Sienna makes sure of that).
 Friday nights now are always spent with a really good meal and a film or catching up on whatever box set we're watching. It's the evening that I like to spend some proper time in the kitchen cooking dinner, which I wont start until the girls are in bed, and then sitting down just the two of us.
 Its also the night we tend to have a bit of a 'treat' (believe it or not most of my other bakes get given away), so I try and make sure there's something nice tucked away for afters. 
Tonight I really fancied a Lemon Cheesecake, however my food processor died on me a few months ago (it was about 15 years old in all fairness) and I bloody HATE crushing digestive biscuits in a plastic bag. So I thought that I would combine a Lemon Sponge with a creamy Mascarpone filling instead. 
This cake does need to be kept in the fridge because of the Mascarpone, so the sponge will dry out alot faster than a normal cake. So if you're making it I strongly suggest making it as close to serving it as possible just so you get the best out of it. 
I topped it with some candied lemon slices, It makes it that bit prettier. They're so easy to make too!
The presentation of this cake isnt 100%, I had a certain little helper who was adamant she wanted to put the lemon slices on and sprinkle the sugar - which ended up mostly on my kitchen sides and floor (sigh)

Enjoy,

Ells

x

P.S. You'll have to excuse the really poor pictures - its really hard to get a good angle with cake!



For the Candied Lemon Slices
- 1/2 Cup of Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 1 Lemon, Sliced 

For the Cake
- 7oz/200g Caster Sugar
- 7oz/200g Stork or Unsalted Butter
- 7oz/200g Self Raising Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Lemon, Rind finely grated

For the Filling
- 250g Mascarpone Cheese
- 150g Lemon Curd
- Juice of 1 Lemon


In a saucepan, add the sugar and water together and stir over a medium heat until the sugar melts and starts to turn into a syrup. Add your lemon slices and allow to simmer until they become translucent. Remove from the pan and allow to cool on a rack.

Preheat the oven to 180c. Line two sandwich tins with baking parchment.

In a bowl, cream the Stork and sugar until they're light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs to the mixture, if it starts to curdle add a tablespoon of flour. Beat on a medium speed until well combined. Fold in the flour and lemon rind gently, careful not to lose any of the air that has been beaten in.
Once combined spread the mixture evenly between the two tins. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together the lemon curd and mascarpone, slowly add the lemon juice adding more or less depending on taste. Cover with clingfilm and pop it in the fridge.

Take the cakes from the oven once cooked and allow to cool. Once cooled turn them out and spread the mascarpone filling on one of the cooled cakes. Top with the second sponge. Decorate with the lemon slices and sprinkle with a little sugar. 

Store in the fridge until ready to serve.




Comments

Popular Posts